Olympia - Many Washington homes rely on liquid petroleum gas (LPG) and natural gas for heating, warm water, and to cook food. In Washington State between the years of 2019 and 2021 fire agencies reported 6,924 incidents involving gas leaks, which makes it important to know what to do in case you have a gas leak. These odorless, colorless gases have additives that give them a smell.
Follow these safety steps in the event of a gas leak:
• If you smell natural gas leave the area immediately and call 911.
• Do not turn any electric switches on or off.
• Do not smoke.
• Don’t light a match or use a lighter.
• When dialing 911, call from outside a building and away from any gas leak.
• Other indications that you could have a natural gas leak is blowing dirt or bubbles rising out of the ground. Again, leave the area immediately and call 911.
• Call 811 at least two days before digging so that gas lines can be located, and always use a hand tool when digging within two feet of buried gas lines.
For more information, contact the State Fire Marshal’s Office at 360-596-3929.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here